Friday, December 09, 2011

Cripple Creek Fairies


Curl Up And Die
Transistor 66

The dudes from The Cripple Creek Fairies like to wear Snoopy vs. The Red Baron-type old aviator hats and glasses, which I think is kind of cool. Must get kind of hot onstage, although not as hot as a teddy bear costume, or one of those Gwar outfits, or even KISS makeup, I guess. For shtick, it's pretty good, and I'm not usually a fan of the gimmick. But I digress...

So the band hails from Calgary, Alberta, which is one of the western Canadian provinces. I lived there for a few years when I was a kid. Calgary is known for its annual Stampede, which involves a lot of cowboys competing in cowboy competitions: hog-tying, bronco-riding, baked bean-eating, that sort of thing. The Stampede is a big deal. But I digress again...

In case you haven't figured it out, these digressions are really just my way of procrastinating: I played this record a bunch of times because it didn't immediately suck me in, and even after the repeated listenings, it still hasn't really sucked me in. Nice heavy basslines, some wailing guitar solos, and pleasantly-whiny vocals that just don't add up to a lot of excitement, for some reason. But I guess that's just the way it goes, sometimes. Ah well...



-Holly

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails