Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mogul
Build Me A Hunchback
Buzzville Records

Belgium's Mogul are a three-time Stubru Demopoll-winning band who named themselves after a military project researching the existence of aliens. What? Yeah, I don't know either. I'm not a big stoner rock fan myself. There's no humour in stoner rock. But I did find this description of the band's sound, taken from the liner notes of this, their first full-length record, rather amusing: "steaming power rock combined with catchy rhythms take the auditor away to a desert-like atmosphere that proved the preferred playground for other Stoner Rock icons such as Chris Goss." Um, steaming? I don't know about you, but when I think steaming, I think big piles of fresh shit. And I'm pretty sure they were just trying to give themselves some American street cred with the Goss name-drop. So Build Me A Hunchback didn't turn my crank, but I don't even really like Soundgarden, so make of this review what you will. All a girl can really offer is her opinion, and, as my two-year-old godson would say, "I can't like it." Riot on.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails