Friday, December 19, 2008

The Sleepwalkers
Baby Baby 7" single
Wrecked'Em Wreckords


So I was doing my hausfrau thing this afternoon, glass of wine in hand, wearing my frilly apron and stilettos, crushing garlic, getting a roast ready for when my man comes home from work, and, of course, listening to some records. This one, strangely. I like vinyl; it's pretty, and it smells good. But 45s are a pain in the ass when one is trying to get a roast in the oven. I need to hire someone to flip my records for me. I'll pay you ten cents a flip.
Anyway, this band from Oxford, Mississippi (not to be confused with the myriad other bands sharing the same name-if any of them hit the big time, the courts are going to be tied up for years) play some pretty good rock and roll. The A side, Down With Baby, initially reminded me of Primus, then of this British band called Sugar who had one decent song 13 years ago, and finally of The Replacements, and brought to mind my beer-soaked cover-band mosh-pit days of the 90s. The B side, V.C. Baby, is more traditionally sleaze-punk, and I liked it, too. Plus, I hear they put on a pretty good live show, so you should check them out. Oops! Look at the time! I gotta fill up my wine glass and put on some lipstick. Mmm, that roast is smelling divine...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails